Electrolux and Frigidaire procedural changes could leave servicers fighting with customers over who’s going to pay the repair bill. Hint…it won’t be the manufacturer.
Effective September 1, 2018, Electrolux & Frigidaire are making two huge changes to how they handle warranty repair claims. Please read this information carefully to avoid unwanted repair bills.
- Electrolux & Frigidaire are implementing a 100% Dispatch Model on all warranty service requests. This means that all repair requests for warranty service must be initiated by the customer by calling the Electrolux or Frigidaire Customer Support Line.
- They are reducing the Customer Instruction and Cosmetic Warranty periods move down to only 30 days for both brands.
The initiative is designed to avoid unnecessary service calls, which is said to be focused on driving an effortless experience for consumers.
But will that really be the case?
Over the past 34 years, with more than 80,000 service calls completed, it has been instilled in me to take care of the customer. Sometimes this means educating a customer on how to properly use their appliance even when a repair problem doesn’t exist. Or maybe it means making a minor adjustment on a squeaky dryer even though there isn’t an apparent defect.
These types of repair calls were previously paid for by the manufacturer for up to 365 days on Electrolux appliances and up to 60 days on Frigidaire appliances. Servicers were free to make minor adjustments, lubricate squeaky parts, and level an unbalanced unit with confidence that the manufacturer would cover the cost.
It was just good business. The customer was happy with the brand, and the servicer received payment for his time.
But as the Customer Instruction and Cosmetic Warranty periods shorten, servicers will be more likely to quote customers upfront for repair costs even if the product is assumed to be covered under the manufacturer warranty.
And here’s why…
As Electrolux and Frigidaire work to improve their internal processes, we are seeing a much stricter warranty repair approval process. And you guessed it–when the warranty claim is rejected, the consumer becomes responsible for the repair bill.
Here’s what you need to know to avoid unwanted repair bills.
Need Your Electrolux or Frigidaire Appliance Repaired Under Warranty? Here’s what to expect from the manufacturer.
All repair issues covered by the manufacturer’s warranty must be initiated by the customer by contacting the manufacturer directly.
When you call, the manufacturer will collect information about your unit to verify warranty coverage. Before calling, we recommend having the following information ready:
- Proof of purchase (Required for machines with manufacture dates older than 24 months)
- Date of purchase
- Model number
- Serial number
- Detailed explanation of the problem
In an attempt to eliminate unnecessary service calls, you may be asked to perform basic diagnostic steps during the phone call. This is to identify any issues that can be fixed without technical assistance. If the manufacturer determines that further repair help is required, a service request will be dispatched to the service company selected by Electrolux or Frigidaire.
At that time, you will be given an appointment date and time frame. But be advised, a dispatch from the manufacturer does NOT guarantee payment of your warranty claim.
If at the time of diagnosis the technician determines that the repair problem is anything other than a manufacturing defect, the customer is responsible to pay for the repair call.
What to Expect from Tiger Mechanical on an Electrolux or Frigidaire Warranty Repair Call.
Tiger Mechanical is dedicated to providing honest service to our customers from start to finish. We will treat every repair dispatch we receive from Electrolux and Frigidaire with the same priority and care that we treat all other service calls.
When we receive your dispatch, we will review the information provided by the manufacturer to ensure all required information has been received. After reviewing your information, we will contact you to confirm your appointment and go over any additional repair questions we may have. At this time, please address any questions you have about your warranty coverage. Do not wait until our service technician has arrived at your home to second guess if the problem is qualified for warranty payment.
Dispatches Do Not Guarantee Payment.
If Electrolux or Frigidaire has scheduled a service appointment on your behalf with Tiger Mechanical (or any other independent service provider), please be aware that this does NOT guarantee that the warranty claim will be paid by the manufacturer.
The manufacturer will reject warranty claims for several reasons:
- Problems caused by your home’s voltage, circuit breakers, or water pressure are not covered.
- Problems caused by improper installation are not covered.
- Minor adjustments, lubrication, or leveling needed to resolve the complaint may not be covered.
- Cosmetic issues (after 30 days) including dents, scratches, loose handles, and damaged knobs are not covered.
- Replacement of drawers, bins, screens, bulbs, hoses, and glass may not be covered.
- Environmental problems including rust are not covered after 30 days.
- Problems caused by maintenance issues such as lint build-up in dryer vents, dirty condenser coils, or food build-up on igniters will not be covered.
- Replacement of legs, wheels, and hinges may not be covered.
Please note that this list of exclusions is not exhaustive.
We can sometimes identify issues that will not be covered based on your complaint. However, many repair issues require a diagnosis to determine the problem. As a result, Tiger Mechanical’s minimum repair fee will be $125 if the manufacturer rejects the warranty claim for any reason.
Prior to our technician arriving at your home, please read your Customer Care & Use Guide for full details on your limited warranty coverage.
All customers should be aware of the following exclusions:
- The unit must be within the warranty period to avoid repair charges.
- Customer instruction claims are only valid for the first 30 days of ownership.
- Cosmetic claims are only covered for the first 30 days of ownership.
- Corrections to installation will not be covered.
- Any unit older than 2 years from manufacturing date must have a proof of purchase to receive warranty repair.
If your Frigidaire or Electrolux appliance needs service under the manufacturer warranty, please contact the appropriate Customer Support Line:
|Frigidaire Customer Support Line
Monday – Friday, 8 am – 8 pm EST
Saturday, 9 am – 6 pm EST
|Electrolux Customer Support Line
Monday – Friday, 8 am – 8 pm EST
Saturday, 9 am – 6 pm EST