Your trusty LG dishwasher has been a loyal companion in the fight against dirty dishes, but lately, there’s been an unwelcome visitor in your kitchen – a bad smell coming from your otherwise perfect appliance. Fear not, for you’re not alone if your LG dishwasher smells bad.
Common Reasons Why Your LG Dishwasher Smells Bad
Let’s explore the potential issues causing that unpleasant smell and give you practical solutions to restore your LG dishwasher. So, buckle up, and let’s sniff out the culprits behind when your LG dishwasher smells bad.
Grease Stuck in Dishwasher
LG dishwashers have a reputation for being high-quality appliances. However, even the best can sometimes have an off day. If your LG dishwasher is making a bad smell or if your dishwasher is not draining, don’t panic! There’s usually a straightforward explanation and an easy fix.
The first potential villain in this smelly situation? Leftover food particles and grease. They can accumulate over time, leading to a bad smell from an LG dishwasher. To combat these pesky crumbs and smears:
- Clean the filter: Remove and rinse the filter under hot water, scrubbing it gently with a soft brush.
- Wipe down the interior: Use a damp cloth and mild detergent to clean the dishwasher’s walls and door.
- Run a cleaning cycle: Add a dishwasher cleaner or white vinegar to the detergent dispenser and run a hot cycle without dishes.
Smell From Dishwasher Drain
If you’ve eliminated the grease and your LG dishwasher smells bad still, it’s time to investigate the drainpipe. A clogged or dirty drain can also be responsible for that lingering smell. If your dishwasher isn’t draining it could also cause issues like your dishes not drying. Let’s tackle these drainpipe delinquents:
- Check the drain hose: Ensure it’s not kinked or clogged. If necessary, disconnect and flush it out with hot water.
- Clean the air gap: If your dishwasher has an air gap, make sure it’s free from debris.
- Inspect the garbage disposal: Run the disposal to clear any food particles that may be trapped and cause odors. You can pour a mixture of baking soda and vinegar to get rid of smells, as well as use tongs to remove anything stuck in the disposal.
Get Rid of Mold In Dishwasher
Sometimes, it’s not the food or the drain causing the odor but rather a stealthy mold or mildew buildup. If your LG dishwasher smells like wet dog, mold is a common culprit. It thrives in damp environments and can leave your dishwasher smelling musty. To send them packing:
- Wipe down the seals: Clean the door gasket with a solution of warm water and mild detergent, ensuring no mold or mildew is hiding in the crevices.
- Dry it out: Leave the dishwasher door slightly ajar after each cycle to allow air circulation and prevent mold growth.
- Run a baking soda cycle: Sprinkle one cup of baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher and run a hot cycle to neutralize odors and remove any lingering mold spores.
Keeping Your Dishwasher Fresh and Fragrant
To keep your dishwasher smelling great, it’s essential to incorporate routine maintenance into your cleaning schedule. Clean the filter and interior at least once a month, and check the drainpipe and air gap periodically to avoid buildup and blockages. By doing so, you’ll not only prevent odors but also prolong the life of your appliance.
Believe it or not, how you load your dishwasher can impact its smell. Make sure to scrape off food particles before loading dishes and avoid overcrowding, which can hinder proper cleaning and rinsing. By giving your dishes some breathing room, you’ll promote better circulation and cleanliness.
Lastly, don’t underestimate the power of a good detergent and rinse aid. High-quality products can effectively break down food particles and grease, and act as a dishwasher cleaner and dishwasher deodorizer helping to keep your dishwasher fresh and odor-free.
As you can see, a smelly LG dishwasher doesn’t have to be a permanent problem. By identifying the culprits, applying the appropriate fixes, and maintaining a regular cleaning routine, you can enjoy a clean dishwasher all year long. And remember for any serious issues you can always call a professional dishwasher technician at Tiger Mechanical.